SOE and CSO Auditions for the 2022-2023 Season
Academy String Program
HYS is excited to announce auditions for the Academy Strings Program’s Concert String Orchestra (CSO) and String Orchestra Ensemble (SOE). Applicants will be considered for both CSO and SOE.
Due to the evolving COVID-19 restrictions, we expect a competitive audition process as class sizes may be limited.
Auditions will be by video submission.
Minimum age requirement:
- At least 8 years old by August 1, 2022 AND entering grades 3-12 for the 2022-2023 school year.
COVID-19 Vaccine requirement:
- Students ages 12 and older will be required to be vaccinated to participate in HYS programs.
- Students under the age of 12 are not required to be vaccinated, however vaccination is highly encouraged.
- “Boosters are not required but highly encouraged.
Audition Application Steps:
Step 1: Download your excerpts and start practicing!
Step 2: Fill out audition application and pay the non-refundable application fee.
- Early application deadline: Monday, July 25 & $40.00 application fee.
- Late application deadline: Sunday, July 31st & $65.00 late application fee.
Step 3: Receive the Audition Video Submission Form in your confirmation email (please check junk/spam).
Step 4: Submit a video of your excerpts before 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 31st using the Audition Video Submission Form. You are responsible for submitting your audition video by the deadline. Payment of the application fee does not guarantee your audition video will be reviewed if it is submitted late. Please only only submit ONE form. Late videos may not be considered.
- We suggest submitting your video EARLY in case of technical difficulties.
- Expect the video file to take time to upload and wait for the “THANK YOU” to appear.
- The HYS office will be closed over the weekend and will not be available to assist on July 31st.
- Excerpts must be recorded in ONE video.
- See below for recording tips and requirements
Step 5: Notification of acceptance will be sent via email during the 2nd or 3rd week of August.
- Placement into an ensemble is at the discretion of HYS
- No audition feedback or scores will be provided after the audition.
Video Audition Tips
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR A VIDEO AUDITION
- Quiet space
- Music stand/something to put your music on
- Video recording device
Devices such as laptops, video cameras, tablets or smart phones can be used to record your audition. Most smart phones have excellent video and audio quality and is most likely the simplest way to record your audition! High fidelity audio/video quality is not necessary.
RECORDING SET UP
- Set up your recording device 8-10 feet away for better audio quality. If that’s not possible, place it as far as you can.
- Be aware of your background and surroundings in your video. Please make sure it’s as tidy and appropriate as possible.
- If using a smartphone, make sure it is set in LANDSCAPE (horizontal/wide) orientation.
- Please make sure your entire body is included in the shot if possible. The judges need to be able to see you and your instrument!
READY TO RECORD:
Before you record your audition, do a couple of takes to test your audio and make sure your set up is exactly how you want it! Once everything is set, you’re ready to record your audition! Make sure to listen back on your recording before submitting.
All excerpts must be recorded in ONE take! You should only need to submit one video. We recommend recording and submitting your video early in case of any technical difficulties.
What instruments are accepted?
Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass
Can I audition on two instruments?
No. Students may audition on only one instrument.
How do I know the Academy Program is appropriate for my level?
Students auditioning for CSO/SOE are recommended to have a minimum of three years of playing experience. However, this is not a requirement. Download the audition music and consult with your private teacher (if one is available for you) to determine if you are ready to audition. If you or your teacher determines that you are not ready to audition for CSO/SOE, you may inquire about Intermediate String Ensemble (ISE) or Beginning String Ensemble (BSE). No audition is required for these groups, but you must be at least eight (8) years old by August 1, 2022 and entering grades 3-12.
When and where are rehearsals held?
Rehearsals are held every Saturday at the Spalding Boys and Girls Club (1704 Waiola St.). See Academy Program Page for more details.
Do I have to take private lessons?
Private lessons are not required, however, we highly recommend you take private lessons to enhance your HYS experience.
Is the audition application fee refundable?
No, the audition application fee is non-refundable.