Symphony Program Auditions for the 2022-2023 Season
The Audition Application deadline has been EXTENDED to Friday, May 13th! (Same day as video submission deadline)
HYS is excited to announce Symphony Program Auditions for the 2022-2023 season. We are planning to return to having three ensembles again (CO, YSII, YSI). However, depending on student auditions, COVID-19 restrictions, and available rehearsal space, we may need to make modifications. Details are subject to change.
Students must audition to be considered for the 2022-2023 season. Please take note of the age requirements (updated as on 4/25) and suggested level for each ensemble. To ensure fairness, HYS does not make any exceptions for age. Auditions will be by video submission.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements:
- All HYS Symphony Program students (ages 12 & up) must be fully vaccinated to participate in the program.
- “Fully Vaccinated” means that students have received 2-shots of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.
- “Boosters” are not required but highly encouraged.
Audition Application Steps:
Step 1: Download your excerpts and start practicing!
Step 2: Fill out audition application and pay the $40.00 non-refundable application fee by the EXTENDED application deadline:
Friday, May 6th. FRIDAY, MAY 13th (same as the video deadline)!
Step 3: Receive the Audition Video Submission Form in your confirmation email.
Step 4: Submit video of your excerpts by Friday, May 13th using the Audition Video Submission Form. You are responsible for submitting your audition video by the deadline. Payment of the application fee does not guarantee your audition video will be reviewed if it submitted late.
- We suggest submitting your video EARLY in case of technical difficulties and expect the video file to take time to upload.
- The HYS office is closed as of 5:00 pm and will not be available to assist after hours.
- Excerpts must be recorded in ONE video.
- See below for recording tips and requirements.
Step 5: Notification of acceptance via email in mid July.
- Placement into an ensemble is at the discretion of HYS.
- No audition feedback or scores will be provided after the audition.
All instruments (except percussion): all students auditioning must play BOTH EXCERPTS. Excerpts must be recorded in ONE video, without a metronome, and unedited.
Percussion: Percussionist must submit 3 separate videos (one of each instrument: snare, mallet and timpani). Each instrument should be recorded in ONE video, without a metronome, and unedited.
Please note that the tempo suggestions are just that: suggestions. These excerpts have been designed for both intermediate and advanced students. We would like to hear you present these excerpts as best as you can in order for the audition committee to make an assessment of your playing.
Video Audition Tips
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR A VIDEO AUDITION
- Quiet space
- Music stand/something to put your music on
- Video recording device
Devices such as laptops, video cameras, tablets or smart phones can be used to record your audition. Most smart phones have excellent video and audio quality and is most likely the simplest way to record your audition! High fidelity audio/video quality is not necessary.
RECORDING SET UP
- Set up your recording device 8-10 feet away for better audio quality. If that’s not possible, place it as far as you can.
- Be aware of your background and surroundings in your video. Please make sure it’s as tidy and appropriate as possible.
- If using a smartphone, make sure it is set in LANDSCAPE (horizontal/wide) orientation.
- Please make sure your entire body is included in the shot if possible. The judges need to be able to see you and your instrument!
READY TO RECORD:
Before you record your audition, do a couple of takes to test your audio and make sure your set up is exactly how you want it! Once everything is set, you’re ready to record your audition! Make sure to listen back on your recording before submitting.
What instruments are accepted?
violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium*, tuba, and percussion.
*Euphonium will not be accepted into YSI, only YSII and CO. Euphonium players interested in auditioning for YSI must audition on one of the eligible instruments.
At this time, we will not be accepting harp auditions. If interested in potential opportunities in the future, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I audition on two instruments?
No. Students may audition on only one instrument.
How do I know the Symphony Program is appropriate for my level?
In a normal year, the Symphony program consist of 3 groups (CO, YSII, YSI). The following short descriptions explain the general level of the Symphony Program ensembles.
Youth Symphony I: students have 4 to 6 years of experience
Youth Symphony II: students have 3 to 5 years of experience
Concert Orchestra: students have 2 to 4 years of experience
You can also download the audition music and consult with a music teacher if one is available to you.
When and where are rehearsals held?
Rehearsals are held every Sunday from August through May. Due to the pandemic the location of rehearsals are still TBD.
Do I have to take private lessons?
We highly recommend you take private lessons to enhance your HYS experience.
Do I need to audition if I was in YSI in the 2021-2022 season?
Yes, everyone needs to audition for the 2022-2023 season.