At HYS, we envision a Hawaiʻi where music is a right. In order to make progress toward our strategic vision, we bring music education and concerts to underserved communities. Out of over 200 DOE schools in the State of Hawaii, less than 5% offer comprehensive music programs. Our nonprofit is a statewide music education organization that seeks to bridge that gap. Here’s how we make an impact!
INTRODUCE kids of all demographics & backgrounds to music
- Partner with the Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii, Le Jardin Academy, Pālolo Elementary School, and other schools and organizations to bring incredible music teachers to after-school programs across Oʻahu.
- Support neighbor island students by offering private lessons and travel assistance.
- Bring students from different schools and communities together to collaborate through music.
DEVELOP youth to their fullest potential
- Create a pathway of continuous improvement encouraging kids to gain skills and confidence as they move up to more advanced ensembles.
- Provide financial assistance so that any interested student can participate in our most advanced programs.
- Partner with the Hawaii Symphony Orchestra for Side-by-Side and Nā Hōkū ʻOpio Young Stars Talent Competition
GIVE BACK to our Hawaiʻi community
- Perform free concerts for school children across the state through our DOE-endorsed Listen & Learn Community Concert Series and at community centers.
- Spread the joy of music through televised concerts in partnership with Hawaii News Now and ‘Ōlelo Community Media and broadcast on Hawaii Public Radio.
Since 2020, it has been more important than ever for us to keep the music playing for keiki in Hawaiʻi. To join our HYS community and hear our latest news, sign up for our mailing list.