There is no typical PMI student and we have programs for students of all levels. You’ll meet a kaleidoscope of people from all different places and backgrounds. But there’s one common thread that makes our community thrive: a love of music and a drive for excellence. Does this sound like you? Then you’re in the right place.
How to Apply
Step 1: Create an account at Acceptd.com and submit an audition.
Priority Application Deadline: April 1, 2019 (Application fee waived!)
- Students applying by this deadline will receive priority consideration for ensemble placement.
- All students requesting lodging and accommodations must apply by this date.
Late Applications still being accepted. Email to email@example.com for more info.
Step 2: HYS will notify you of your program placement
- Priority Applicants will receive a message on/by April 15. (Late applicants: on/by June 1.)
- The message will contain a link for you to register and pay your tuition.
- Be sure to submit a Financial Aid application, by April 29, if you are interested in doing so.
Step 3: Additional Information
- If you are coming from off-island and need housing, reserve your housing package after registration. Housing deposits are due by April 29.
- If you are unable to bring your own instrument, you can rent an instrument from us.
- All students will be required to review, acknowledge, and submit our Participation Agreement, Activity Waiver, Medical Emergency Form, and Student Handbook, in order for their registration to be considered “complete.”
Applying for Multiple Programs
Students are encouraged to apply for multiple programs in Sessions A & B. The Artistic Director will make placement determinations based on the student’s audition and instrumentation needs of the PMI program. The Artistic Director’s decision is final.
Applying on Multiple Instruments
Students who wish to apply on multiple instruments must submit audition recordings for each instrument, via GetAcceptd, at the same time. Audition recordings submitted piecemeal will not be considered. The Artistic Director will make placement determinations based on the student’s audition and instrumentation needs of the PMI program. The Artistic Director’s decision is final.
For technical assistance or if you forget your user name and password, please contact the Acceptd support team from the login page of the online application. PMI administration does not have access to user’s login information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I have to audition this year? We want to be sure to place you in the program and ensemble that best fits your current skill level and also balance out the instrumentation in the various ensembles. This also eliminates the need to audition students on-site, which means more playing and learning for everyone. What should I play in my audition? Please submit two recordings (video preferred), of contrasting style (e.g. one quick and technical and one slow and lyrical). It could even be two contrasting excerpts or movements from the same piece. If you’re interested in one of the Jazz programs, please be sure to submit at least one recording of you playing in a Jazz style. Solo and Ensemble performances, audition recordings, and anything that features you is acceptable. If my audition isn’t good, what happens? Nobody will be turned away. There is a place for musicians of all skill levels at PMI. In both Session A and Session B, we’ll have instrumental workshops with our faculty that address instrument-specific needs of players of all levels. For string players, we also have the String Orchestra, which is geared towards our younger and less experienced players.