Children who make music embody commitment, discipline, teamwork and persistence…
all proven to be vital to success in school and to joy in life.
Making music is a right, not a privilege.
To help youth develop to their fullest potential through orchestral music, in the setting of our Islands’ unique culture.
1. Embrace Adaptability & Change.
2. Understanding and Fulfilling the Needs of Every Island.
3. Powerful Partnerships That Advance Music in Our Communities.
4. A Global Force in the Youth Orchestra Community.
• Neighbor Island Programs, to add value to existing Neighbor Island musical communities
• Rural/Under-Resourced Community Programs, to serve communities in need of music
• Artistic Expansion Programs, to attract and inspire students local-and global-to HYS
OUR NEW LOGO
The story and philosophy behind it.
In an orchestra, all notes, instruments and musicians are unified by the conductor’s vision and leadership.
The heart of our new logo is an eye-catching, stylized version of the classic conducting pattern. Set to the brilliant colors of a Hawaiian rainbow, the logo channels the warmth of our Aloha Spirit, the youth and vitality of our brand, and the joy that music brings to children’s lives.
Hawaii Youth Symphony embraces the essence of the conductor’s role across our mission to help young people develop their fullest potential through orchestral music, in the setting of our Islands’ unique culture.
Why should making music be a right? While youth participate in music for many different reasons, their participation will result in similar outcomes: high attendance, high academics, high achievement, high self-awareness.
In the context of HYS, the word “orchestral,” refers to ensemble (large group) playing—not necessarily classical music. And, “the setting of our Islands’ unique culture” provides the cultural and geographic context for our work.